Monday, July 14, 2008

And We're Off!

Not to the races, however. Today started the summer term at the Art Institute of Atlanta, but it felt like something of a race. I was excited for the start of the classes, but in order to get everything settled I had to visit three or four different offices on different floors...which felt a bit like I was racing around like a chicken with my head cut off. I think that they purposely send you around to see several different people, each one sending you back to the person you just saw...and the powers-that-be sit around laughing as they watch you scurry back-and-forth.

Anyways....I think I finally got most things settled! Class went well and I lucked out this term--the classes I teach are only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday...so I get to have a few days off too! (Although I think I'm going to try to pick up a number of new students to supplement the income!)

Even though I'm getting used to teaching the summer quarters, I still feel weird, because it seems like I should still be on vacation.....

I guess that's what happens when you teach semesters at colleges and then only teach certain weeks of the summer! Ah well....

I'm quite proud of myself though because I had a goal to cook more once we got settled in one city and it's going well so far! I'm trying to find a good local farmer's market (thanks to Deedle!) and I say good, because I'm having a bit of trouble on that score. I managed to find a really neat international farmer's market pretty close to the condo, but I didn't really have a good experience there. Maybe I'll try it again in a few weeks, but I've got a couple of other options to try first (and they're even closer to our condo than the international place.)

I'm also trying to grow some of my own vegetables! My violin/fiddle students gave me a large pot of herbs with a tomato and a pepper plant as a going away present before I left Nashville. I ended up transplanting the tomato plant into its own pot and bought another cherry tomato plant (which I like better than regular tomatoes) and a bell pepper plant. It's something of an experiment to see if I can grow things successfully, but so far I've already gotten a nice banana pepper from the plant my students gave me! I'm hoping that perhaps by August or early September I'll have some tomatoes and bell peppers too!

So that's the news here...I wish it was more exciting....alas I'll try to spice it up in the next post!

1 comment:

Deardeedle said...

Yay for farmers markets! Keep looking - you'll find a good one. And homegrown peppers are awesome - I am sending you some good pepper karma :]