Sunday, August 24, 2008

MMMM....Bread!

I am, without a doubt, a breadmaker extraordinaire!!! Ok, so maybe I shouldn't go that far, but seriously? The cinnamon raisin bread I made was awesome! It was like magic: I put the ingredients in the machine last night (in a particular order) and Abra Cadabra, Poof, Yummy smelling bread woke me up this morning at 9:30am...all in all, a very good morning :) I also made a second loaf for just me and the hubby and ended up giving the rest of the first loaf to my mom-in-law. She did let me borrow the breadmaker, after all. (and the second loaf is just as yummy as the first one was!).


Now onwards to the very few downsides: 1) It's a lot noisier than you're actually led to believe. I actually woke up at 6 this morning because the paddle in the bread pan had started the "kneading" phase. That, and the alarm that lets you know you can add the raisins in went off around then. Of course, I didn't need to add the raisins, because in the book it told me to put them in last night (around the outside of the breadpan, away from the yeast) since I was setting it up to delay the baking. Apparently there's no "I'm setting this for delay" button that will turn off the alarm...hehe.

So that was mildly annoying, but I ended up shutting the bedroom door as well as turning the thermostat down so the air kicked on. I was so hoping that the noise (the churning paddle and the raisin alarm) hadn't awakened my husband since he had to be up at the butt-crack of dawn for his church gig, but no such luck. I also thought that the air conditioning kicking on might mask the noise of the breadmaker, but I was informed this afternoon (on the way to meet the in-laws for lunch) that I'm now not allowed to make bread on the days that he has to be up early in the morning! hehe...I guess he didn't sleep very well after that. Live and learn I say...but how was I supposed to know how noisy it was??? I think the problem might also be that we live in a small one bedroom condo and the kitchen is pretty much right outside of our bedroom door.


Anyhoo, there is really only one other downside, and this pretty much only pertains to me..and because we live in said small condo. I don't have anywhere to store the breadmaker. Right now it's sitting on top of our stove and eventually we're going to need to use the stove...like tomorrow. I tried to find cupboard storage, but we're pretty packed into this place. I'll find someplace to put it, so we can manage, but I don't think the hubby will be up for getting a breadmaker of our own just yet. Ah well...at least I don't have to give this one back just yet!!!

2 comments:

Deardeedle said...

Yay for bread goodness!!! I'm glad it turned out.

Mine isn't very loud - but I also was doing it at about 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday. So I'm thinking that it might seem rather loud to me too if I were trying to sleep and it was working away.

And you're right about the storage thing - I'm lucky it fits in my hutch. It think it's bulk is the main reason people don't like them or use them often enough. But hey - it's smaller than a bread oven,r right? :]


Try pizza dough too. You just use the machine to stir & rise the dough. And it is soooo good!

KMB25 said...

Thanks Deedle :) I'll look into the pizza dough...I haven't yet experimented too much, but I will soon!