Monday, February 5, 2007

Atlanta Irish Music Weekend

My student and I got back last night from a wonderful trip to Atlanta! Leah placed 2nd in the fiddle at the Atlanta Irish Music Competition held in Alpharetta (North Atlanta)!!!!

We met so many new people and had a wonderful time! After the competition, we were able to jam with many of our new friends at the Harp Irish pub in Roswell, GA before going to hear an awesome concert with piper Tommy Martin, and Fiddler Brian Conway accompanied by pianist and flutist Brendan Dolan. After that, it was back to the Harp for a huge session--where there were so may talented people playing and having fun!!

On Sunday, Leah and I attended a workshop with Brian Conway and it was absolutely amazing! For awhile, there have been aspects of Irish music that I always feel that I am lacking in, and it was really nice to hear from an outside source that I have been doing things right all along!! I also learned more about how I can change simple things such as bowings so it goes better with the phrasing and sounds more "traditional."

I'm going to try to get Brian Conway to come to Nashville and give a workshop and concert at Belmont University--his teaching is absolutely fabulous! This weekend has inspired me in so many ways to do more with my music--and I'm excited to get started! I'm hoping to get some pics back from this weekend and then I will post them here as well!

~KMB

No comments: