Sunday, February 18, 2007

The sounds of music......

So this past Saturday I had auditions for Belmont School of Music....meaning I was there as one of the faculty...not a student auditioning. I didn't think I'd really be affected at all by the switch in positions...I used to be the one auditioning for a spot...but it was a little weirder than I had expected it to be. I was actually there as faculty! Me!.... There were a number of exceptionally talented applicants... and of course, I can't really say anything about anything about them, but I guess I'm just trying to explain why it was such a big deal to me. At first, I tried to be distant, but there was one in particular that I really really really think should get accepted. And I had a personal connection too, as she was a sibling of someone I went to school (undergrad) with. And then there was another that was really talented, but it's not looking like she's a good candidate for other reasons. It's like you really want to go to bat for the really good ones, but unfortunately, the school can't or won't accept everyone and there's only so much scholarship money to go around.

And it's weird how good you feel when the system really comes through for you and you see the really deserving ones get the good scholarships to go to Belmont...and then you feel bad for the ones that don't get them, even if they were really deserving. It just doesn't seem right on some levels...but I suppose you have to pick your battles. And unfortunately, you don't always win. So I've learned a lot this weekend.....

~KMB

No comments: