Thursday, February 1, 2007

Snow Day????

I still can't get over this-- today, most schools are closed in middle TN for a snow day...but the kicker??? THERE'S NO SNOW!! I live in Davidson Co. (this is the county that Nashville is located in).....it is one of maybe five counties in TN that did NOT close for a snow day, because someone (who obviously was able to look out the window and think logically) said, "Let's not close school until there's ACTUALLY snow!"

Ok...so the one thing since moving down to TN that I will never get used to is Tennesseans' stupid reactions to a snow forecast. Maybe I'm just used to lots of snow, but if snow is pretty much even whispered in a forecast, most schools are closing and people start freaking out! I generally like to wait until there is actually something to freak out about...but that's just me.

However, this does put me in something of a quandry. I teach on Thursdays in a nice little place outside of Nashville called Hermitage. (Yes, it's just down the road from President Andrew Jackson's historic home). But I digress. Anyways, the area of Hermitage where I teach sits on the border of Davidson Co. and Wilson Co....and a lot of my students are split down the middle as far as which county they go to school in. So, now the question becomes...because Wilson Co. schools closed but Davidson Co. did not, do I too, cancel for the day or go and teach?? I go and teach! (Especially since there's NO SNOW!) I'm just not looking forward to calling all the parents to convince them that it's ok to venture out and we're still on for today....ah well....such is life.

2 comments:

Kier said...

I always laugh at my in-laws because where they're from (Long Island) they close schools and panic over a few inches of snow! And there we were in Clarence, with Dr. Coseo keeping schools open with 4 feet of snow on the ground and more falling! LOL!

Oh, do you mind if I put a link to your blog on mine?

KMB25 said...

I still remember dragging myself to school when there was a ton of snow on the ground--yeah...Dr. Coseo was a little Nazi-like about those snow days!

I would love to have a link on your page...do you mind if I do the same??...that is, as soon as I figure out how to do that!